About the Club
Brechin Golf Club was formed in 1893, at Trinity Muir with a 9 hole course. Unfortunately there are no records detailing the early period of the club but there were rumours that two clubs shared the facilities. As well as Brechin Golf Club there are trophies engraved with “Brechin Artisan’s Golf Club” which was formed and played over the same 9 holes.
In 1904 the original wooden clubhouse was replaced with a larger brick building which remained for a further 70 years. Records show that by 1924 an agreement had been made to purchase Limefield Farm. By 1926 the famous James Braid was invited to play the course. J.P Gellatly, the Club’s Captain at the time, generously offered to pay his fee. Braid was so impressed he suggested suitable sites for sand bunkers in the Limefield section of the course.
With the popularity of golf rising, by 1973 the Club realised its existing standards were not up to standard. Visitors had no seperate dining room and the locker room in the attic was less than adequate. Money was raised and work began in 1975 to extend the clubhouse. This was finally completed in 1977.
In 1989, an additional 42 acres of land were acquired from a retiring neighbouring farmer. Members had been wanting to expand the course for years and now had the opportunity to make the holes safer and more interesting. The fields were on either side of the Brechin bypass and the services of John Farrell were engaged to plan out the new course. Work began on the six new greens in the 1990’s and the new layout was ready to play during the Club’s centenary year in June 1993.
We are constantly striving to improve our facilities and services and in May 2003 a larger refurbished clubhouse opened.